Forecasters are increasingly confident that we are in for more wind and snow on Saturday so we have decided to bump the Season Opener back one day to Sunday December 17. The 32 mile race to Atmautluak and back will begin on the Charles Family Lake (across the road from H-Marker Lake) at 11:00 AM.
At this time 19 racers have registered to race. They will compete for a piece of the $25,000 purse to be split among the top 15 finishers. Competitors are listed below!
1. The race will begin with a mass start at 11am on Charles Family Lake.
2. Eight dog limit.
3. No dropped dogs.
4. General passing rules apply. When any team approaches to within 50 feet of another team, the team behind has the immediate right of way upon demand. The racer ahead must stop their dogs and hold them to the best of their ability for a maximum of one minute or until the other team has passed, whichever occurs first. The passed team must remain behind at least 15 minutes before demanding the trail. The race officials may penalize a team if this rule is violated. “No Man’s Land” will be marked by two K300 stakes about 2 miles from the finish.
5. No pacing by snow machine. There may be an official snow machine pacing the field in the early part of the trail to show all teams the proper trail, and also perhaps at other points on the trail as needed.
6. Mushers must be a current member of the K300 to participate in this race. Membership may be purchased for $100.
7. Every sled must be equipped with a sled bag that can adequately and safely contain any dog who needs to be carried during the race. Anyone who races without a sled bag will receive an automatic penalty of $200