As this late surge of winter weather continues we have the unexpected opportunity to continue our racing season into mid-April. The Campout Race will be the final purse race of the 2022-23 Season and the final event of the first Delta Championship Series.
On Saturday, April 15th, teams will mush upriver to a designated camp area on the Gweek River, about 42 miles from Bethel. The trip upriver is not a race; teams may leave Bethel any time beginning at 11:00 AM but can leave later if they wish. All teams must start the run from the start line near the small boat harbor in Bethel.
The race begins on Sunday at 10:00 AM, when teams line up in the order they arrived at camp, and head for the finish line in Bethel.
1. The event will begin at 11AM Saturday April 15th near the mouth of the Bethel Small Boat Harbor.
2. Dog teams and camp crews will travel up (not race) to a pre-determined camping spot, approximately 42 miles up the Gweek River from Bethel.
3. Eight-dog limit; five dogs must be in harness at the end of the race. Teams will be able to drop dogs at the camp spot, and a designated spot along the trail. Dogs may not be added to a team after the Saturday start. Mushers must arrange for care and transportation of any dropped dogs.
4. The race will start on Sunday April 16th from camp at 10:00 AM. Teams will line up in the order in which they arrived in camp the previous day. (The first team to arrive in camp will be the first team on the trail, etc.)
5. General passing rules apply. No Man’s Land will be marked by a sign about 2 miles from the finish.
6. No pacing by snowmachine.
7. Excessive use of alcohol by mushers or handlers is not permitted.
8. The race purse will be $20,000 paid to the top 15 finishers.
9. Every sled must be equipped with a sled bag that can adequately and safely contain any dog who needs to be carried during the race. Anyone who races without a sled bag will receive an automatic penalty of $200.
10. Participants must be K300 Race Committee members ($100 annual membership).